Friday, May 17, 2013

Masa monster pizza & bakery

Masa of Echo Park Bakey & Cafe and I have a strange relationship. The first part of our strained relationship comes from my first and only visit in spring of 09. I came in search of the legendary Chicago deep dish pizza. I loved the place right away for the funky grandmother's house vibe. A small bar stands like a wall to the entrance to a bustling kitchen. Surrounding the bar are small and large tables and even couches where meals are served on coffee tables. I love this down home vibe, this is why some staff have been working close to a decade at Masa. I sat down and after a few minutes ordered my pepperoni and sausage pizza. The wait is 45 minutes that I thought I was prepared for. It was a tough wait but I've waited at restaurants much longer for much less. When the hot pie arrived I couldn't believe the monster that was sitting in front of me. The sausage wasn't slices, it was giant triangles of meat, one for each slice. Forget all other pizzas, they can't compare to this, this is a steak dinner. I left two slices for the next day and left very happy. The next morning I was not so happy. Maybe 45 minutes wasn't long enough to cook it. I'll spare my few readers the gory details, let's just say things became explosive(okay I still shared allot). The worst part of the story was having to throw those last 2 slices away :((. I knew that some day I would return to Masa though. Every time I walk to the Echo or Two Boots I always think about the pizza that I really want. Well last week I decided to try Masa again. I ordered a large pepperoni and pineapple pizza with a Carmel bread pudding so that I would have something to eat while I was waiting. The bread pudding came out very fast and I was impressed with all the amazing flavors it had. Then it came for the pizza. The pizza was twice as large as I had remembered it. THIS THING IS A MONSTER!!!! It was the best thing I ate that day. Unfortunately the bread pudding had made it difficult for me to eat more than two slices. This was not a bad thing since the rest of the pie fed my friends for the next two days. So I didn't get sick this time and I now have one more place in this town where I can get amazing food!




I don't own these photos, I don't want to be the A hole ruining every ones meal by taking photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment